- Without cause.
- usage: "a gratuitous insult"
- Costing nothing.
- usage: "complimentary tickets"; "free admission"
- Unnecessary and unwarranted.
- usage: "a strikers' tent camp... Was burned with needless loss of life"
by WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University
- (a.) Given without an equivalent or recompense; conferred without valuable consideration; granted without pay or without claim or merit; not required by justice.
- (a.) Not called for by the circumstances; without reason, cause or proof; adopted or asserted without any good ground; as, a gratuitous assumption.
by Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary